Friday, January 25, 2013

Make your dream come true: become a published author!


The purpose of this blog is to help you understand how you can make your dream of being a writer come true. I will also post some links for published authors in order to help out any fellow writer who is looking for free promotion. Yes, free promotion! Don t spend any bucks on paid advertisement...free advertisement will give you exactly the same: exposure all over the internet. There are loads of websites where you can get free publicity!




You are an aspiring writer and your dream is to become a published author? Well, that s incredible good news! If your dream is consistent enough, you will go to the end and make it come true.

"How do I become a writer?"

So many people have asked me this question. Well this is no big secret: you become a writer by writing.
Writing is really what makes you deserve the title of "writer", no matter if you are published or not.

There are a few things you need to remember:

-when you will start writing, your style might sound weak, you will make a lot of mistakes. Yes, you will be an amateur for a little while: we have all been there. When I started writing as a music journalist, back in 2003, I was as amateurish as could be. Some people were even poking fun at me, thinking I would never make it. But I have been very tenacious and grabbed every occasion to collaborate with different media and learn something new. By 2005, a friend of mine stumbled upon one of my articles and gave me the greatest encouragement I could get: " now you sound professional".

The secret of achieving anything is tenacity. I perfected my style over the years, learnt from reading newspapers and magazines.

I had a book ready back in 2003, but it was too amateurish. I rewrote it several times, faced a lot of rejections from publishers  several times, but in November 2011, my dream came true: Amber Books accepted my book that had now better standards.

I kept writing and now I have three books out and several others in the works. Don t try to classify me, I am an ecclectic writer, I write on very various subjects, and in three languages.

Secrets of becoming a published author

-preparation: be a pro. By being a pro, I mean write in a professional style, on a subject you know well.
Take care of the presentation of your manuscript and avoid repetition and mistakes as much as possible
- a good query letter:take some special care of your query letter, write a targeted, precise letter. Explain your motivations and know who is your target audience.
The way you present yourself matters a lot in the world of editors.
- know your onions: be an expert on your subject
-study the publisher you are applying for: know his editorial line
-respect the manuscript submission guidelines

Why you sometimes get rejected

A rejection has nothing personal. It can happen for numerous reasons. Sometimes you simply don t fit into the editorial line , or your style is too familiar. Publishers have numerous reasons to reject a manuscript, but when they decide to accept it, it generally means that they trust your product and believe it can sell.

So, still wanna be a published writer? It is a long way, but it is really worth the adventure.



Copyright© by Isabelle Esling
All Rights Reserved





No comments:

Post a Comment